Sunday, September 22, 2013

One of the most WOW moments of my life

After a day of exploring the area, I was sooo ready for the BIG attraction: The Blue Lagoon. Mind you, it was 43 degrees outside and I was slipping into my bikini.

This extraordinary resort is set in the midst of a lava field, about 45 minutes outside of Reykjavik (close to KEF). Many people make the Blue Lagoon their first stop after landing, or their last hurrah before departing.  Not me! I chose to do neither and to spend the entire day relaxing, unrushed, at this geothermally-heated, mineral rich paradise. 


Upon check-in, I was given a bracelet that acted as my credit card for the day. Quite helpful at the swimup bar.  After a few walking laps around the lagoon, a few local beers, I slathered up my face with warm white silica mud--with promises of....well....something! (Glad I read the warnings about not getting that stuff in your hair--yikes! My hair feels like rubber....)


Normally, I'd shy away from the lunch buffet, but this one was magnificent. Complete with local sushi and other yummy dishes. 


My day ended with an in-lagoon massage. Unreal. A heavenly oil massage as I lay on large floating mat, lagoon water splashing over me, sun beating down on my face...I can't think of a more peaceful experience.



No comments:

Post a Comment